The largest university cooperation network, present in 23 Latin American countries
Universia was founded In July 2000 with the backing of 35 Spanish universities, the Spanish Universities Board of Rectors and the Higher Board for Scientific Research. Between 2000 and 2005, Universia was established in 11 Latin American countries, and its presence extended to all countries by 2010.
Universia’s activities, products and services are geared towards promoting shared projects between universities and exploring the potential relations between universities and companies. The results of this activity are apparent with the emergence of excellent online projects.
What is Universia?
Universia is the largest Spanish and Portuguese speaking network of universities. It is made up of 1,242 partner universities from 23 Latin American countries, representing 15,3 million university teachers and students.
It acts as a driver to promote excellent projects with groups of universities, within the following framework:
- The international geographic field: the focus of interest is global, with a particular emphasis on Latin America.
- Heterogeneity in higher education: interrelationship between scientific and technological disciplines, humanities, social and technical sciences.
- The University’s role in Companies: innovation is a demand of time. It needs the distance between the laboratories and the market to be narrowed.
- Analysing the future: carefully observing the evolution of society and the economy, so as to be able to identify the best response to the challenges faced.
Universia’s vision promotes change and innovation with the university community and companies.
A vision which allows new activities to be sought in exploring potential relations between universities and companies:
- Being the largest university cooperation network focused on Latin America, promoting change and innovation through a platform of products and services fro the university community and companies.
- International benchmark of Corporate Social Responsibility with the backing of Banco Santander.
Universia’s mission consists of developing the current vision, acting as an agent of change in the interaction between universities and companies.
The results of Universia’s activity are apparent with the emergence of excellent network projects between universities, and between universities and companies:
- Acting as an agent of change, helping universities to developed shared projects and to generate new opportunities fro the university community, meeting the demands of the business and institutional environment, and with economic efficiency and return criteria.
Lines of action
Universia’s actions are carried out on four fronts:
- Knowledge: Driver of innovation. Connecting research with companies, using technology to disseminate knowledge and promoting life-long training.
- Collaboration: Links between universities and companies. Creating spaces for discussion and relations between universities, and positioning university teachers as agents of corporate change.
- Employment: Relationship between talent and employment. Assisting in the search for first jobs and work experience of university students, and generating new professional opportunities for graduates.
- Future: University students as key figures for the future. Promoting initiatives and instruments helping them in their professional and personal training and providing information on future possibilities.